Frequently Asked Questions
• I already have my own home plan picked out, will HDI build it for me?
Yes, this would be done on an individual basis. HDI would be happy to sit down with you, discuss the details and create a budget and specs for your specific project.
• Is HDI willing to build one of their house plans on my lot I already own?
Yes, we can bring one of our plans to build on your lot. HDI would need to look at the specific property to determine the feasibility of building with the site development requirements.
• Can I see homes that HDI has built before?
Yes, please see our Gallery link under “About Us” to see some of our previous projects. Once you have looked at our style use the Contact Us page to set up a meeting to see our current designs and projects.
• How long does it take HDI to build a home?
Average build time, after the permit is received is between 120 and 180 days depending on the project size. This may fluctuate based on weather, materials, time of year, sub-contractors, etc…
• Can I choose my own finishes for a home that HDI builds for me?
Yes. There will be a budget with allowances for different items in the home, i.e.: appliances, flooring, cabinets, trim, paint, etc. that will allow this. You may choose any finish to complete your home. However, if the finish you choose exceeds the budgeted amount in the builder allowance, the client shall pay the difference prior to installation of the material. Conversely, if the finishes you choose are less expensive than what the builder has allotted in the budget, that amount will be credited to the buyer.
• How do material allowances work?
There will be a designated budget prepared by HDI. This budget has been utilized on previously built homes of similar type, size, and finish. However, if the finish you choose exceeds the budgeted amount in the builder allowance, the client shall pay the difference prior to installation of the material.
• Can I provide my own materials i.e.: flooring/appliances/cabinets, etc for a home that HDI builds for me?
Yes, however HDI will not warranty any materials provided by the client.
• What if I want to finish part of the house myself?
HDI would be happy to work with you. However, this will void HDI’s warranty on the project you are finishing as well as any other damages that may occur as a result of the work you have done.
• Can I get a list of subcontractors that HDI used to build our home?
Yes. Once you close, HDI will provide you with a list of subcontractors and their contact information.
• Does HDI have any references?
Yes. Please see our testimonials on our home page. HDI would also be happy to provide you with references upon your request.
• Should I do a property inspection with an independent inspector on my new home?
This is a personal decision based on what you are comfortable with.
• What kind of financing is available?
There are many financing programs available dependent on your situation and time line. HDI is preapproved as a builder with several financial institutions. Once you have browsed our plans setup a meeting with us and we can help you find financing options.
• Is there a warranty on a home that HDI builds?
Yes. There is a one-year warranty on each home. There is also a state-required ten-year warranty on structural defects.